Eating rice is back on the rise and for good reason. The gluten found in most grains can be damaging to some people. That is because gluten is a form of glue and acts as such in our bodies causing all sorts of problems.
For those of you who are trying to get healthier organic brown rice is the perfect choice for everyday meal preparations. I make up a large batch once per week and use it for many different dishes. One of our absolute favorites is Rice & Eggs. It is so easy to warm the rice over in the morning in some coconut oil. With a couple of organic free range eggs fried in coconut oil and some Braggs for seasoning you have yourself a gourmet breakfast that is not only satisfying but packed full of protein and nutrients to start your day off right!
Here is my simple recipe for cooking brown rice.
2 1/2 cups water
2 cups organic brown rice
2 to 4 tablespoons of coconut oil and/or ghee
1 teaspoon pure sea or Himalayan salt
- Soak rice overnight. See here for why it is important to always soak your rice, beans and grains: http://wp.me/p1z9nY-t5
- Rinse. Put brown rice and water together in a pot with a lid. Use the ratio of 2.5 cups water to 2 cups rice.
- Set the heat to maximum, and bring the rice and water to a boil uncovered.
- Add up to 4 tablespoons of coconut oil** and/or ghee and 1 teaspoon of pure Sea or Himalayan Salt. The pot should start boiling wildly, stir in the oils and salt, cover.
- Ensuring the lid has a nice fit, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes. If your lid has a steam valve, keep it closed.
- Turn off the heat, and let the rice sit in the covered pot for another 10 minutes. I prefer my rice to be slightly chewy, not mushy, so I usually remove the lid after 10 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork, serve and enjoy. Be careful when you remove the lid, since a lot of steam may escape when you do.
This is the basic recipe. I sometimes add garlic for an extra health kick and delicious flavor.
**It is important to get your 3 tablespoons of coconut oil per day so this is one great way to ensure you are getting enough plus it is delicious! Check this site out for the health benefits of coconut oil. http://coconutoil.com
Thank you for reading my post!
Enjoy & Blessings!